New to Camp Beyond Binary?
We are so excited that you’ve decided to apply to Camp Beyond Binary! All campers, new and returning, must apply for camp. Not all campers who apply for camp will be accepted. This process is to ensure that camp is the right fit for you, and that you are the right fit for camp!
- Complete and submit your application. This is a series of questions asking basic demographic information. Applications open January 30 and are accepted on a rolling basis.
- Once your application is received, you will be sent a confirmation email and a link for a brief Zoom meeting with our camper committee to chat about what camp is all about.
- Our camper committee will review your application and Zoom meeting, and decide if you’re the right fit for camp. Our camper committee uses a standardized rubric for every applicant, to ensure that the process is equitable and bias-free. We strive to choose a wide variety of campers from diverse backgrounds.
- If you are selected, you’ll receive a link to payment and health forms. You’ll also receive communications from our staff about how to prepare for camp!
- Due to high interest in camp and limited capacity, campers may join us for one week only. You’ll have the chance to identify your week during the application.
What can you expect during your Zoom meeting?
The Zoom meeting with our camper committee is a casual meet and greet to make sure that you can camp are a good fit! If you’re a new camper, here are the questions we’ll discuss. If you’re returning, keep scrolling to see your questions!
- Introduce yourself! Tell us your name, pronouns, where you live, and how old you will be this summer. Feel free to tell us a little bit about how you identify or any other info you want to share about yourself!
- Have you ever been to a sleepaway camp before? If so, tell us a little about that experience.
- Why do you want to attend an LGBTQ+ camp and what would be your goals for yourself while at camp?
- If selected to attend camp, what are you most excited about? What are you most nervous about?
- Camp is a very LOUD, high-energy, and highly social environment with little “alone time.” How do you feel about being in this type of environment?
- As part of our smaller community circles, we may discuss serious and deep subjects, such as gender, identity, body image, mental health-related topics, environmentalism, racism, immigration, etc. Are you able to be in environments that discuss these topics in an educational and activism-based way?
- Camp is a rustic, nature-based, and electronics-free environment. That means phones, laptops, gaming devices, and other things are not allowed. How do you feel about being in this type of setting?
- Is there anything else you think we should know about you?
If you’re a returning camper, your questions will look a bit different:
- Reintroduce yourself! Tell us your name, pronouns, where you live, and how old will you be this summer. Feel free to tell us a little bit about how you identify or any other info you want to share about yourself!
- What impact did CBB have on you as a person? Please share with us what you have done since your last time at camp. How have you shown leadership? Have you done things to help your school, community, and the world? How have you grown? Be as specific as possible.
- Having attended camp last year, what would you add or take away? What about camp did you love, and what would you change?
- If selected to attend camp this summer, what are you most excited about? What are you most nervous about?
- If selected to attend this summer, what would be your top 3 goals for yourself while you are at camp? How are they different or similar to last year?
- What are your favorite qualities you see in yourself?
- Anything else you want us to know?